Thread: Carb leak
View Single Post
Old 09-17-2020, 01:48 PM   #10
Y-Blockhead

Default Re: Carb leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie Vitucci View Post
Good Morning...Many Model A Zenith Carburetors have a tendency to dribble a bit. Many of us find that they don't leak when the engine is running, only after it stops. We tend to close the gas valve when we shut off the engine and run the engine for a minute or so and then shut it down.

Another problem can be that the valve on the bottom of the tank does not shut off completely and so the head pressure of the gas in the tank will work its way to the carburetor and finally move fuel past the float valve, even if closed. Sometimes the answer is the modern quarter turn float valve system sold by Bratton's. You might look it up and see what you think...some of us dribble and we're not quite as old as our cars! Ernie in Arizona
I agree 100% with what Ernie wrote (except maybe me dribbling!). I had a carb drip that was driving me nuts. I finally replaced the main S/O valve even tho it didn't seem to be leaking while I was watching it. But by morning I would have drips on the engine pan (and the catch can I placed under the car). New valve from Snyder's worked.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote