View Single Post
Old 11-26-2017, 05:41 PM   #18
rbullockv8

Default Re: Model B starter broken

Okay, I'm getting confused by the options.
1. It sounds like the armature is separate from the shaft and can be swapped with another shaft? I thought armature and shaft were sort of one unit, and that Frank Miller was suggesting replacing the shaft/armature with one from a Model A.

2. Synchro909: I'm not sure what you mean by "reconfigure" field coils. Is this a series/parallel wiring change? I understand swapping them out for 12v replacements, but not reconfigure.

3. And, Jim Brierley: As far as I know, this is the original starter on this roadster PU, and it's heavy steel. The steering column has the plug in place where the starter cable would go for a pull type switch, and I can remember back to the early 1950s that it always had a foot starter switch (my dad bought the truck in 1939). My frame/bell housing serial number puts its manufacture in the August 1932 range: B / BB 5144011--5146668 August 1932, and I thought I remembered Ford changing from the pull starter switch to the foot starter switch in June or July '32? Not sure. I didn't know about aluminum-body starters.