View Single Post
Old 12-12-2020, 09:47 PM   #7
CWPASADENA

Default Re: 2 Tooth Steering Column

Quote:
Originally Posted by 700rpm View Post
It’s been a long time, but I seem to remember there is at least one screw holding that bushing in. Check for it before you try to drive the bushing out.
The last design bushing that was used in some '30s and all '31's is just pressed in. it has a "V" that fits into a notch in the top of the column to orientates the bushing and keeps it from turning.

As stated before, drop the column over a pipe or broom handle and it should knock right out the top of the column.

A trick I learned when installing the spark and throttle rods, is to first insert them thru the bushing and slide the anti rattles onto them. Drop the rods and bushing into the top of the column but do not press the bushing in place quite yet. If you hold the tube at about a 45 deg. angle with the top surface of the column facing toward the ground, the rods will follow the inside of the column and easily find their way into thru their holes. Once you get one rod thru its hole, put a cotter pin or a piece of wire thru the hole on the end of the rod to keep it in place while you guide the other rod in place. Once both rods are thru their holes, press the bushing in place.

If you have had the rods re-plated, do a trial fit of the rods in the column and bushing to be sure they will fit and are not too big.

This is how I do it.

Chris W.
CWPASADENA is offline   Reply With Quote