View Single Post
Old 04-01-2021, 08:27 AM   #4
rockfla

Default Re: '40 Brake Bleeding

Mike42
Did you just do a "recent" brake job and or replace wheel cylinders by chance??? OR replace shoes???

As for adjusting them, I adjust the bottom first, I bring them out to where they just contact the drum and do a "very slight" back off from touching. Then do the same on the top...just ever so slightly before touching or drag!!!! It shouldn't matter IF you do this before or after bleeding!!!!

The reason for asking the first question IS. I was talking with Mike at Third Gen when I was working on my 39 Merc brakes and he was telling me about "some" of the after market shoes and wheel cylinders THAT the tabs on the shoes where they fit the wheel cylinders are a little long and thus push the cups further inward on the wheel cylinder. It allows for bleed by on the cups and you can't get a hard peddle. IF you did put new shoes and or cylinders on, you might want to pull the rubber caps on the cylinders and SEE IF there in fluid behind them......IF so (and you also replaced your shoes) you may need to pull the shoes back off and grind the tabs back a little bit!!!!!

Last edited by rockfla; 04-01-2021 at 08:32 AM.
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote