View Single Post
Old 01-12-2015, 09:42 AM   #2
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Default Re: Gas leak near steering column

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman31 View Post
I just acquired a 1928 A and drove it 40 or so miles and at the end of the drive noticed dripping from the end of the formed channel by the firewall where all the wires, cables, etc run behind the gas gauge. It was clear that the gas gauge was old and had been leaking for some time, BUT this was the easy part I think.....

The car sat for 2 weeks and I noticed new stains by the brake Pedal on the floor mat in line with the steering column. Upon further inspection I also noticed some stains in the paint under the dash by the steering column bracket. I have attached a pic.

I rebuilt and replaced the gas gauge last night, but I am wondering if this leakage by the steering column could be caused by the gauge? It is not close by and some of the stains are high towards where the column attaches. It is too salty and nasty out here in the northeast to go for another drive and splash some fuel around and see if it keeps leaking.

When I removed the gas gauge I looked inside the tank, and it looks like new, beautiful grey with no evidence of rust, almost too new.

Is there any way to inspect the bottom exterior of the fuel tank above the steering column without huge dis-assembly?
this has been discussed many times here:
the repairs varied form using jb weld, or assorted epoxys to soldering the tank and reinforcing the rivets or removing the tank and cutting it open to fix it right.
regardless its not a pretty sight
thats one of the top 10 items i check when looking for a car..

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 01-12-2015 at 09:47 AM.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)