View Single Post
Old 07-29-2020, 07:21 PM   #13
Synchro909

Default Re: Ford model b waterpumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdy Swoft View Post
I don't have exact figures on how much coolant the B water pump moves but it is considered an improvement over the model A water pump . I feel that the B water pump , pumps slower , giving more time for cooling air to pass through the fins of the radiator .
And more time for the engine to heat the water in the block!
I believe that within the limits of reason, it doesn't much matter how fast or slow the coolant circulates. Slow circulation will see the coolant enter the radiator at a higher temperature but spend more time in there to cool off. Higher circulation will see the opposite. I believe the real issue with overheating comes down to a restricted radiator and slowing the circulation is not treating the cause of the problem.
Here's my logic:
Let's follow a droplet of coolant as it wanders through the system starting at the pump.
The coolant is pumped into the top tank where it descends through the rad core cooling as it goes to the bottom tank, then through the return pipe and into the block. From there, it wanders through the engine getting warmer as it goes. It then finds its way into the head and back to the pump. The ONLY place the pump can get something to pump is from the bottom of the radiator via the engine. An area of lower pressure is created on the engine side of the pump and higher pressure at the pump outlet. As a radiator begins to clog, the pressure difference gets bigger till the area affected by the lower pressure extends to the bottom tank and the bottom of the core. This helps pull the coolant through the radiator. As the radiator gradually clogs more, the pressure in the block falls further and further and as we all know, the lower the pressure, the lower the boiling point, causing a propensity for it to boil. By now, the only cure is to replace ro repair the radiator. Reducing the size of the vanes on the impeller means the pressure difference it not as great because the efficiency of the pump is reduced. That disguises the issue and MIGHT give temporary relief from overheating.
It should be realised that for every drop of coolant pumped into the top of the radiator, a drop has been taken out of the bottom of it. The volume of the coolant does not change unless something is added to it. The most common cause of that is either boiling (steam added) or a leaky head gasket (exhaust gasses added) A high efficiency pump cannot cause the top tank to overflow unless there is another problem. A common misconception.
Ford used a metal return pipe from the bottom of the radiator to the block for a reason. If the radiator is clogged (or a thermostat hasn't opened yet), the pressure in it is so reduced that a rubber hose would collapse, stopping the flow of coolant all together with disastrous results. Many manufacturers used to use a coil of wire in the bottom hose to prevent that.
I believe reducing the size of the vanes is nothing more than voodoo. As I said, it MIGHT temporarily disguise the issue but it isn't a cure.