View Single Post
Old 04-10-2022, 11:46 AM   #32
deuce_roadster

Default Re: New member intro and a question about mirrors

Hey Welcome, and here is another vote for your cool car.
Don't be tempted to hammer the end of the pin that prodtudes from the bottom of the hinge no matter how much Kroil or other penetrating oil you soaked it with. There are splines at the top 1/4" that holds the pin from turning. A "press" type device that pushes on the end of the pin is your best chance of moving it up. You have to overcome those splines that are stuck in the top portion of the hinge.
My method which has worked 75% of the time has been to first grind the part protruding out the bottom flush with the hinge. Then I mark the center of the pin with a center punch, drill it with my smallest drill bit for about 1/4 inch deep, then with 3/16" . Then I use a Hinge pin press (not a Drake one but one made in the 50s) that has different length fittings with 1/8" protrusions of varying lengths to force the pin upward. All the parts of this thing are similar to the pictured ones and all parts are hardened steel.
Really nasty ones like from hulks that have been in the rain for 40+ years may need to be drilled from the top too. Even if you have to drill it out you can find oversized pins or make them yourself if you or a buddy that has a lathe. Your car is so nice you need to be very careful and not try to use any heat like you could with a hulk.
Good luck and as others have said, if the door doesn't hang low, and your only reason for taking that pin out is to put a mirror on, Don't mess with it and put on a peep mirror on the passenger side. I use them as others do.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote