View Single Post
Old 02-11-2020, 11:50 AM   #8
19Fordy

Default Re: HOW TO:REINSTALL POINTS CAM LOBE on 49-53 Ford Distributor

I agree with all the above posts. Like, tubman said, having things set up like the factory designated makes it easier for other folks to work on the car who may not be attuned to "custom" spark plug wire locations on the cap terminals. It gives the person (like me) working on the car a good comfort level when they see #1 is at OEM position, especially on distributor caps that have 1 molded into the cap at the #1 terminal.

If #1 plug wire has been moved to another cap terminal, confusion may result unless the person working on the car is very experienced.

Plus,like Mike said, you want to have the range of motion for the distributor so that the vacuum advance canister can be positioned, look good, have no interference with other engine parts and still be able to be held in place by the OEM hold down clamp.

No doubt, the position of the distributor rotor so that # 1 cylinder is one tooth to the right or left of the traditional 6:00 o'clock position is acceptable but I prefer using the factory set up position.
Personally, I don't plan on removing another points cam lobe.

I appreciate, the feedback that has been given by all.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote