View Single Post
Old 04-01-2014, 12:45 PM   #35
BUBBAS IGNITION

Default Re: Flathead distributor "service"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 56shoebox View Post
"The blue bosch ( vw beetle) coil is a 3-4 ohm internally resisted ignition coil and one of the best out there . Good choice for a coil..."

"As mentioned above the Bosch Blue coil was made for 4 and 6cylinder engines based on ramp ( coil build up time) and overall rpm ranges etc. However with the flatheads rpm band the bosch blue works very well. The key is having the correct primary ignition resistance. The 12 volt ignition system needs approx 3-4 ohms of primary resistance to maintain a current flow of 3-4 amps to keep everything working for many happy miles . A electronic system usually is higher amps and lower resistance."

I am confused as to what Bubba is saying. Please clear me up. Above he says to use a 1.5 ohm primary resistance coil then later in the post he recommends the Bosch 3.4 ohm primary resistance coil (part 0-221-119-027).

Another thing confusing me is where he is talking about the primary ignition resistance and not needing an external resister with the blue Bosch coil. Is he talking about the ballast resister? Is it a 1.5 ballast resisiter he ships with his GM conversion points distributor?

Thanks ahead of time for any clarification help provided. Bubba if you answer this yourself I am referring to you in a third party in case you don't see this post.
We typically want approx 3 ohms resistance in the primary of a 12 volt point type of ignition.

One way to get that ressitance is to use a 1.5 ohm coil and a 1.5 ohm resisitor for a total of 3.0 ohms or 4 amps in the circuit. ( We ship this resistor with our units as many have had trouble getting them )

Another way to get this is to use the Bosch blue coil at 3 ohms as well.
The actual rpm band of the flathead works very well either way....
BUBBAS IGNITION is offline   Reply With Quote