View Single Post
Old 07-21-2020, 12:23 PM   #18
ro

Default Re: '32 Woodie "survivoration" project

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
I would get the flattest matte clear coat you can find..... not satin. Then buff it up around the fender crowns, the doors where your arm hangs out the window and other places where old vehicles take a shine. OK, if you want me to be completely honest, I wouldn't clear coat at all. Keep it under cover (no brainer) and take an oily scrap of burlap to the high spots on occasion and polish them up. A plastic coated patina just doesn't do it for me. But that's just me. I DO love your build, just offering 40 years of making and keeping stuff looking old.
I totally appreciate your thoughts on this. To be honest, I really haven't put much thought into the final coat. My reference to satin was basically me saying "not glossy." :-) I definitely want to keep it looking old, and it does have a nice look when I'm done with my rather unconventional approach. My other concern was whether my paint job would hold up good enough without any protection. However, If it's not outside for long periods of time, a little maintenance now and then might be good enough. I could also make tweaks to the look, if desired, rather than having it locked in place under a clear coat of something. Thanks again for your thoughts!
ro is offline   Reply With Quote