View Single Post
Old 07-20-2020, 07:31 AM   #14
ro

Default Re: '32 Woodie "survivoration" project

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfla View Post
SO.....Ro, question is??? In picture #1 post 4 the cowl and fenders are clearly black with surface rust trough on the some of the metal.....Pic#2 (which I saw on ebay) the car is still black. Pic#3 the car looks to be mostly in "primer" grey?? Unless the lighting has affected that picture?? SO how do we get to what looks like an "original" paint on the cowl, hood and radiator shell in the last picture you posted Pic#4?? Just curious?
You are correct about the car being in primer. The fenders are still in primer, actually. As for the rest of it, I need any professional painters in the crowd to please not be offended by my unprofessional methods . Primer was removed revealing the aged metal. Fortunately, the primer was only applied as a protector, and the metal had not been heavily worked ahead of that. I matched the paint to the original on the back of the hinge. Here's where it gets unconventional. I applied paint using a brush. When the paint was mostly dry, I coated it with wd40 and rubbed it with my bare hands and fine sandpaper removing any brush strokes. I experimented with coating some places with wd40 before painting which made the paint adhere more randomly, which made for a natural looking paint loss pattern. Once I'm happy with the final look I will protect it with a satin clearcoat.
ro is offline   Reply With Quote