View Single Post
Old 04-08-2019, 01:01 PM   #523
woofa.express

Default Re: tell a Model A related story

Summer 1990. Big fires.

Fires are always devastating, heart breaking and costly in losses in loss of life of people and live stock and loss in property. This is no matter where on earth fires occur.
I always enjoyed working on fires for the pleasure it gave me in helping people. Farmers had water trailers, pumps and hoses to fight. I knew all these fellows in my local area because I worked for most of them. I would not take payment and neither did other volunteers for their effort. Farmers would always be grateful and some wrote to me expressing just that. I regret not keeping those letters. I once got a statement of gratitude on the front page of a state weekly.
One summer day the atmosphere was crisp, temp and wind high. It was clear we were in for trouble. Yes the phone rang. Help please. A Jerilderie fire was out of control. The wind was so strong it was difficult to control the aeroplane. It took maybe 3 minutes to pump a load. In that 3 minutes the fuel in the carburettor boiled and when I opened the throttle the only a big yellow flame and black smoke would flow from the exhaust, for about 8 seconds before cool fuel would fill the carby and the engine would power up. I worked nearly all avo and made the fire manageable and the farmers were able to extinguish it. I was pleased when it was over and I headed home. Didn’t get home. The town of Tocumwal also had a big fire, started by campers on the river bank opposite the town and ran down the railway next to where I now live. High winds had taken embers across the river and started many little fires and of course a little fire quickly becomes big fire. These were too extensive for me to quell so I advised and directed the crews where to head. There must have been 25 fire engines with crews. Some had come great distances. The wind abated about dark and fire front was travelling slowly now. It was after 11 at night when it was under control and I departed. It actually looked spectacular in the dark.
Several thousand sheep were lost in the Jerilderie fire which was moving about 30mph across the grass lands. Losses less at Tocumwal but some houses were lost and yes, devastating for the owners. Irrigation channels and some green summer crops, mainly rice had confined the fire somewhat.
Since that time I have flown for the fire authorities in 3 states but did not enjoy that. Bureaucracy, egos and stupidity ran those perhaps with the exception of S.A. and that excludes the volunteers who gave their time and effort. Priority was not extinguishing the fire. I formed a policy of who I work for. Farmers yes for I always feel satisfied by their gratitude. State fire authorities no. There are other pilots who likewise won’t work for them.

And there are times when I have a long memory.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote