View Single Post
Old 10-20-2020, 06:25 PM   #26
Daves55Sedan

Default Re: Heater no hot air from Heater?

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Redneck View Post
I ordered a new fuel pump because there no vacuum there.I an starting there.
If you turn on a light in a room in your house....do you....check the fuse or circuit breaker at the SOURCE first, OR do you unscrew the bulb and put another one in to see if it works now???
Regardless of whether there is a plumbing, electrical, or in this case a vacuum system, always begin the tests at the END-OF-THE-LINE and work back toward the source.
The last test should be the vacuum booster test. IT IS NOT A PUMP, ONLY A BOOSTER. To test, run engine at idle and check the vacuum at the square brass fitting (in this case at back of teapot carburator, thank you dmssfr). If you have around 19-20" of vacuum at idle on your test guage, you have GOOD intake vacuum. If the guage shows lower than 19", you have carb or gasket problems that must be corrected before even touching the fuel pump.
So if intake vacuum is good, go to the fuel pump and pull off the hose that runs back to the firewall and install your vacuum guage on it. Pull the hose off line that comes from the square brass fitting on back of the carb AND PLUG THAT HOSE WITH A PENCIL. Have somebody sit in the car and give it enough gas to get it going about 500rpm (thats a little more than idle speed). I suggest hooking up a dwell tachometer unless dashboard has a tach that still works (I think all early T-birds had them). The vacuum reading at the guage should be at least 10" of mercury. If it does, the vacuum booster is GOOD. If it does not, replace fuel pump (or get a new vacuum diaphragm and rebuild pump yourself).
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote