View Single Post
Old 09-14-2014, 02:05 PM   #1
Rudy T

Default What am I doing wrong?

Trying to get my dads 28 phaeton running and having a hard time having the engine fire consistently.

I rebuilt the carb, mostly followed Tom Endy's instructions minus soldering up the jets and re-drilling to spec, nor flow tested. Used the jets i got as is. Put the carb on the engine fired up right away, but was idling very high. Bidle adjustment did nothing.

Pulled the carb off again. Measured the float and the level is below the 5/8's mark, closer to 7/8's. When i choke it, fuel pours out of the carb, flooding it. Which i think means i have plenty of fuel in the bowl, even though it's measuring low. Then i leaked tested the lower bowl, to see if fuel was leaking out of the main and cap jets, those were good.

Put the carb back on, and now i can't get the engine to fire. Fuel still "pours" out when i choke it, but the starter doesnt seem to be turning over the engine fast enough. Put the charger on the battery but starter has become inconsistent. Usually very slow turnovers, and then sporadically fast.

So do i have a starter problem or a carburetor problem? Is there a starter test i could do?

On top of all this, the dolphins are getting creamed by the bills.... Day just keeping getting worse...
Rudy T is offline   Reply With Quote