View Single Post
Old 08-31-2014, 02:49 AM   #12
PC/SR

Default Re: Double Nut Lifters Secrets

It is not "only" Bill Stipe grinds that require more that a 1" lifter foot. Pete's statement is too broad about what "most cam grinders" are doing and I would want to see the camshaft data specific to the grind before selecting a lifter. Pete's statement provides no information as to any specific cam, or what Isky or Winfield did for any specific grind or what they did in general for A cams.
Get the specific specs from anyone who sells you what purports to be a "Winfield" or any other grind. It probably is not a "Winfield" grind, whatever that is, but even then get it in writing. Let me tell you about my hot "Winfield" grind and 1" lifters that wiped out the lobes.
I would "venture to say" that most A-B cams need at least a 1.1" or more lifter foot. Stock certainly does. Check Vince Falters Fordgarage for data and pics. http://www.fordgarage.com/pages/valv...comparison.htm
I do not know what "most" regrinders do, but doubt that "most" change the flank acceleration or velocity curves enough to accommodate 1" lifters for an A. One inch lifters was for a V8 grind. The V8 flank curves can and are being done for A cams today, but the best thing is to check with the cam grinder for their curves and lifter base recommendations. Ask the grinder if he knows the velocity formula for flanks and lifter bases. If he give you a blank stare go somewhere else.

Last edited by PC/SR; 08-31-2014 at 02:55 AM.
PC/SR is offline   Reply With Quote