Thread: Smokin
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2021, 02:37 PM   #15
DJ S

Default Re: Smokin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccsix View Post
The car ran well for over a year, until recently. After I change the coil (only coil wires swapped) problems began. I would like to put up a number of pics but my clunky camera and the resizer pgm that keeps hiding my pics.
Here are a couple. The 1st pic shows wire completely burned through, a black wire out of the loom to the starter.
The 2nd dash pic shows a fabric covered black wire that really got hot going from ign sw to ammeter.
This the setup the has run w/o any problems for past year.
I have replace the new hi v coil, with orig coil just to try to get back to some workable baseline. I will remove the wire from the ign sw to the ammeter and not sure where to go from there.
So far there is only one destroyed wire which I can easily replace and a couple more I'll replace out of caution.. But that doesn't fix the problem.
There's your problem. As others have mentioned, you should not have a wire from the ammeter to the ignition switch. There should be a wire (short/black) going from the terminal box to the negative side of the coil. The other side of the coil (positive) should have that red fabric wire connected to it. That same wire is connected to one side of the ignition switch. The other red plastic wire should be connected to the other terminal on the ignition switch.
DJ S is offline   Reply With Quote