View Single Post
Old 02-06-2021, 03:06 PM   #11
Vic in E-TN

Default Re: Ford Script Battery

Very interesting video posted by Brent Terry about re-manufacturing batteries. This is my experience from the early 60's at National Lead Company in Perth Amboy, New Jersey. I was working in the paint production department. They had a "Battery Breaker" that they activated after dark. It was a 100 ft plus tall escalator that they loaded with batteries a few at a time at the bottom and they dropped off the top. The cases broke open and the acid spilled out on the ground. Ultimately it flowed out to the local water (Kill Van Kull I think) and ultimately into the Hudson River. The rubber and plastic cases were loaded up by bucket equipment and taken to a building where they were smelted and the lead recovered. This was done only at night. The fumes were incredible and mostly the wind blew them over Staten Island. This plant was located next to the Hess Oil Refinery. This was my first experience with industrial pollution at this scale. I did not last long at National Lead. They made "Dutch Boy" Paint which by the way was rated tops by Consumer Reports.
Vic in E-TN is offline   Reply With Quote