Thread: woodgrainers?
View Single Post
Old 05-17-2022, 11:57 PM   #10
highbeams

Default Re: woodgrainers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by highbeams View Post
Well-known woodgrainers for interior window garnish and dash?

Thank you -
Thank you all for your help!

At this point:

This '33 3w has barely recognizable decades-olde woodgrain; maybe orig, but I once read an article that FoMoCo used Dinoc (sp?)woodgrain stencil. And once read that FoMoCo had woodgrainers that 'pulled' parts that were stored off the assembly line.

Anybody's guess how the graining was applied.

ALSO, Chrysler and GM did their cars. It seems to me that, as an adolescent kid, examining the woodgrain in cars, it was so well done, that in deed was real wood!

This woodgrain in this '33 is covered with a hard-hard syrup coating with black particles; the syrup coating must be dissolved w/water; no abrasive. The black particles are the last to go; the water-dissolving them = bare metal.

So, this existing woodwhatevergrain is-what-it-is: a mystery to me. (The back of the glovebox door is 'prepped' w/the initial - lighter - sprayed basecoat.

Note: The non-abrasive sponge with water is a job for a patient person. The passenger window garnish moulding was a 4-5 hour task. (That moulding weighs 3 pounds!) The passenger-side dash is also free of the hard-hard syrup after hours of water-dissolving sponge work. It actually appears to be acceptable, depending upon persnickety level of the owner.

but I have - no desire right now - to 'tackle' the driver-side half of the dash, the driver-side window, the back window.
highbeams is offline   Reply With Quote