View Single Post
Old 10-24-2013, 07:08 PM   #3
DICK SPADARO

Default Re: Fatmans fron axle modification.

I have had experience with this back in the late 60's, this concept seemed to evolve in auto racing combined with a Flemke spring as a cheap IFS substitute before IFS took over. The problems centered around toe steer and excessive tire scrub as the camber changed. This set up required a center link tie rod pivot if you wanted any suspension travel for a softer ride.

The most effective version was the Ford twin I beam design used on pickup trucks. This placed the pivot of the axle at almost the opposite side of the vehicle so it held camber changes to a minimum amount. To replicate this design you would need to purchase two axles to do the job. If you are just cutting an I beam axle in half and making two pivots at the center of the vehicle it might look cool but its a lot of work to operate correctly. You may get a slightly softer ride and remove some of the washboard feel of a solid I beam but you create a few more issues.

Its like anything else yes it does work but if it worked well you would see it on a lot of vehicles, now its a conversation piece.