View Single Post
Old 09-08-2021, 03:03 PM   #10
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Finally had it with the gas tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by old ugly View Post
my opinion.
using a gas tank sealer is just asking for trouble down the road. so may times ive seen it come loose and crate havoc.
yup! fix the tank properly or find another good tank.
this is off topic and is just my experiences.
ou

tom
Tom, so that I am understanding you correctly about not using any sealers ....if a tank has lost some/all of the Terne coating inside, my experience is that it exposes bare metal that begins to rust. This is where the sediment comes from that plugs fuel lines and carburetor jets. So if you are suggesting not to use a sealer, then how do you propose to keep that bare metal from rusting further? It is my opinion that we have no choice but to apply a sealer to the tank. Do you have an alternate method you would recommend??

FWIW, if you have experienced a sealer coming loose, then it most likely due to adhesion problems -and not the fuel creating degradation. If the tank is properly opened where all areas can be blasted with media to remove all traces of rust and any flaking of factory coatings, then the media-blasted surface has enough texture for the sealer to properly adhere to for many years to come.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote