View Single Post
Old 11-24-2020, 11:11 AM   #6
satfix

Default Re: Bad Speedometer cable or...

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
Mine is a car not a truck, but I was able to remove the cable housing from the back of the speedometer and pull the cable itself out. Once it's out, it's a simple matter to put some solvent on a rag and get it clean. Then apply some specialized speedometer cable lube according to the instructions on the container. A couple of things to be aware of are using the wrong type of lube and putting to much on. The wrong type of lube may gum things up and cause more problems and over-lubing may cause some of the lubricant to migrate up to the speedometer head, which ain't pretty.

It may take some fiddlin' to get the cable back into the housing and fully seated at the connectors, but it's not a bad job. (It's probably easier on a truck than a car). It's just car maintenance 101.

Good luck on your project.
Thanks.

So if I understand correctly - just pull the internal cable out and don't remove the cable housing itself? I assume I'll need to disconnect the speedometer cable from both ends however? I've looked and both sides are accessible with little effort.

I'll go to parts store and get the lube and then check back later.

Thanks again

Rich
satfix is offline   Reply With Quote