View Single Post
Old 11-16-2015, 04:16 PM   #17
Fordestes

Default Re: 8BA Front Seal Oil Leak

Before you install the seal ,remove the inner seal that runs against the wear sleeve the seal is a two piece and the center is removable, make shure the inner radius is clean of oil and outer seal portion is clear of oil and the removable center section seal outside radius is clean as well, put a small bead of silicone sealer to the inner surface of the outer part that holds the seal to the engine ,the oil may be coming through the seams of the inner portion and the outer portions, then install with a modest amount of sealer to the pan and timing cover mating surfaces making shure the seal is not cocked in the pan area, some times people take pliers and squeeze the seal area of the pan to tighten up the rope seal to enhance the protrusion of the old rope seals. look on you tube at Mr. Balough's demonstration , it will explain with visual what I am trying to explain , I found out the hard way after removing the pan a few times I seen where the seal can be separated and mine was leaking between the inner Radius of the seal so I tried to push the seal apart and sure enough it does easily separate and the fluorescent dye I used was visible. check out you tube flathead ford front seal sleeve install .
Fordestes is offline   Reply With Quote