View Single Post
Old 11-16-2015, 01:24 PM   #6
GOSFAST

Default Re: 8BA Front Seal Oil Leak

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete from OZ View Post
Hi Fellas,
I need advice on the Front Oil Seal . When I rebuild the 8BA engine I used the Modern front seal and not the Rope Seal. On first start up, I noticed a oil leak running down the centre of the oil pan from the front.
After reading a lot of posts , I thought maybe I pinched the seal. Sure enough that is what I did.
I have just this last weekend fitted a new speedi sleeve and new modern seal from Flatattack racing.
I made sure I did not pinch it by using insulation tape from side to side before install. This made it very easy to fit. I was very confident.
I ran the engine to operating temperature and shut down, and saw no leaks.
About 10 minutes later I checked again, and sure enough there was a leak again running down the centre of the pan from the front seal area.
What do you reckon I have done as I am certain that I have not pinched the seal.
Is this a common leak in this area. I also have not over filled the oil level.
Thanks.
Pete from OZ
Hi Pete, assuming this is your leak, we move a bunch of those seals AND the "corresponding" sleeves, not a single "leaker" yet.

You need to really pay close attention when installing the seal, it is very easy to install them "backwards" (mentioned above), this will push oil out not keep it in and have the correct sleeve with the seal.

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. Those 1 pc neoprene seals don't like or work well with the "spiraled" OEM sleeves. It takes a "blank" sleeve specific to that seal. The seal/sleeve below here on the left should be used together.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Flathead Timing Cover Seals-Sleeves.JPG (67.0 KB, 131 views)
GOSFAST is offline   Reply With Quote