View Single Post
Old 07-09-2023, 11:58 AM   #15
jeepguy1948

Default Re: Question for the guys running aluminum heads

Good advice all around. I do always use anti seize but copper washers is a new one for me (and it’s a good one too). I have done my best to measure the thread depth (and come up with .60 so probably 1/2” or 5/8”. In a perfect world I would pull the heads (or at least one of them) and sort this out but at this point, time is not on my side and I only discovered this issue on what was supposed to be the last day before “hittin the road”. Truth be told, I have the old beast running pretty good (there’s always room for improvement) (we won’t be racing it after all) and I would not be horribly concerned about shrouding for now and deal with it next winter but I am concerned about lack of threads in the aluminum heads. So, everybody says “just measure the threads” which I had done before I ever posted my original question on here (.60”) the current plugs are 7/16”, too short. The new plugs are .75”, too long. I would blame the valve/electrode contact on the bigger cam but they are clearly longer than the hole is deep. Another question is about the business end of the plug itself, the length of the electrode is significantly longer on the champions, indicating (to me) that they are a hotter plug, which concerns me as well. I am going to call Edlebrock themselves in the am and see what they have to say. Mr. Bored, what plug would you recommend for the heads you have? FWIW these are front outlet heads. Should I just go with the Champions and add washers for clearance (I would still be concerned about the heat range)? Assuming that I do need a plug with a .50”-.625”, where the heck to I go to source that? And of course, I still need to include heat range etc. in the equation, not just thread length.
jeepguy1948 is offline   Reply With Quote