View Single Post
Old 01-17-2021, 11:38 PM   #1
Gold Digger

Default Rust in gas tank

I have 5 model A's at the present with one that has always had fine rust in the tank that I never have been able to keep cleaned out. In the past I would run an extension magnet to the bottom of the tank and clean what I could out but still would have the pencil filter to stop up and also the filter in the carb with real fine rust. This could be a trick everyone already knows but I came up with the idea to put a strong magnet with a small eye bolt screwed in it positioned on the bottom of the tank. About once a year I reach down and hook the eye bolt and pull out about a half a cup of fine rust. I used to travel about a hundred miles before having to blow back in the gas line to clear the pencil filter and maybe clean out the carb filter. Since I have been using the magnet I have never had to clean the filters. I know this may sound like a band-aid fix but it has worked for the last 5 years for me. Also I saw some magnets at Harbor Freight that would work that already have a loop made on top.
Gold Digger is offline   Reply With Quote