View Single Post
Old 08-14-2017, 06:25 PM   #16
1948F-1Pickup

Default Re: GM engineer figures out common flathead problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe View Post
Interesting chain of events here, but it does not add any credence to the original ice cream story. That alleged Pontiac was a new car, with factory engineered and installed parts. This Plymouth is a hodge-podge of miscellaneous parts bolted to it.
Too often we try to out-think the factory. "Who needs that spacer? It's not chrome. Throw it out." "So what if the shift cable is all kattywumpus! It still moves." We've all been there; done that. I think it's a matter of simply overlooking the obvious when diagnosing.
This......
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe View Post
I think it's a matter of simply overlooking the obvious when diagnosing.
I worked for GM once upon a time, as a District Manager for AC-Delco, one
of their parts divisions. I received a call at home one Friday, my presence was requested in Redlands CA, as there was something interesting going on
in one of our independent installer shops. I arrived and there was a car on the rack, surrounded by a GM engineer and several other mechanics who worked at that shop.
The car had arrived for an oil change, was driven onto the rack and the oil change was completed. When the rack came back down, oil was added and the car was started...... presto, no oil pressure. When I arrived, supervised by the GM engineer, the mechanics were busily dropping the oil pan and changing the oil pump (for the second time).
I asked to look at the oil filter; they had a whole case of that part number.
(it was a spin-on style)
Close inspection of the base plate of the oil filter showed that every single one of the 5/16" holes was blocked by the "star" washer directly underneath..... so basically an improperly assembled filter. All the filters in that case were from the same production run.
I had them slap a Fram oil filter on there just for grins. Viola, instant oil pressure.

I never wanted to know what that little fiasco cost. (Engineering - 0,
Sales - 1)

I worked for GM for 5 years, we would be here all week with all the various stories.....
1948F-1Pickup is offline   Reply With Quote