View Single Post
Old 11-06-2021, 07:53 AM   #11
Bob-A

Thumbs up Re: 7 Tooth Box..Question

I've only rebuilt one 7-tooth box. To get it right I replaced the sector & worm gears with new ones. To get the best mesh of the gears I had to use black magic marker I did not have machinist blue. Let's see if I remember this right: I coated the sides of the sector gear teeth with the marker. Assembled the complete steering box, replacing what was needed besides the sector/worm gears. Adjusted the box as best I could. Rotated the steering wheel completely both ways a few times. Dissembled the steering box. Checked to see how much and where the marker paint had rubbed off the sides of the sector teeth. Which would indicate high spots on the sector teeth. And prevent the teeth on both gears from meshing fully. I then carefully ground down the indicated high spots with my Dremel tool. Remarked the sector teeth as before and then reassembled the steering box and repeated the sequence described above. It has been about 12 years since I have done this so I hope I'm describing the procedure correctly. After doing this about 7, 8 or more times. The steering wheel had maybe a 3/4" play. I was justifiably proud of this accomplishment as I am more of a "parts-changer" then a true mechanic. I hope I have described this procedure correctly and if anybody knows better please chime in. This work was done with the steering gear clamped in a large vise. After assembling the gear back into the car I had to readjust the sector end play for the best fit. Even with 2-tooth steering boxes I've had to always readjust the mesh of the gears once I installed them into the cars.

Bob-A
Bob-A is offline   Reply With Quote