View Single Post
Old 03-31-2019, 12:37 PM   #12
rotorwrench

Default Re: 1942 Marmon Herrington Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas3 View Post
i think all the makers now have a different ratio between front and rear axles, like the 4.11, and 4.10 as mentioned. i am no engineer, but i suspect its to take up all the slop in the gear lash similar to toe in on the front end. a wild friend years ago made a tow truck out of a 47 chevy 1.5 ton, shortened up for a holms 440 wrecker boom, and he used 70's vintage gm 3/4 ton transfer case and front axle. so, 750x20 rear tires, and 750x16 front tires. he is a sharp guy and did the math for different ratios to make it work, it was/is a cool rig now owned by his son
The tire sizes would have been calculated in too. This is likely why he chose slightly different axle ratios. Either that or there was no way to make them the same. You don't want the front pulling faster than the back or visa vi. This creates too much friction for tires and drive train which is really bad for the already bad mileage plus causing premature wear & tear.

Chucks Trucks has some different ratio gears or so I've heard. He is about the only one I know of that plays with the early Timken Detroit axles.
rotorwrench is online now   Reply With Quote