View Single Post
Old 11-26-2017, 06:05 PM   #19
rbullockv8

Default Re: Model B starter broken

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimlinh View Post
I just looked at your pictures. your Bendix does look like it was taking a beating. Check the starter alignment also, the holes could be off. This happened to me once (not on a Model A). Sorry I don't personally know any re builders.
Wondering how you check the alignment? I did rotate the flywheel a full turn to check all the teeth on the ring gear. Looking in through the starter hole, the ring gear is set back on the flywheel maybe an 1/8" or less all the way around (consistent setback, so it doesn't wobble). And the starter mounting bolt holes on the bell housing are in perfect condition, as is the surface of the mounting area--nothing to throw off the starter alignment. I'm not sure how you would go about making any kind of adjustment.

So my question is: How does one check the alignment of the gear mesh?
I'm attaching 3 photos of the drive gear. I have not cleaned these in any way. While they do appear a little rough on the faces, there is no evidence they are bottoming-out on the valleys, nor are they showing a variable alignment on the faces. One photo of the mounting surface, and one close-up of the ring gear.

Advice appreciated! Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5492.jpg (44.1 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5493.jpg (43.9 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5494.jpg (42.4 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5495.jpg (40.4 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5496.jpg (42.0 KB, 31 views)