View Single Post
Old 12-19-2016, 12:15 PM   #64
Art Newland

Default Re: Pulled my spare engine apart for inspection

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Rogers View Post
Art, I am going to go out on a limb here and say your engine will probably be a leaker. The reason is the groove to the front of the rear bearing. This groove is not necessary and will let combustion gasses and piston pressures to force oil to the rear of the bearing and overwhelm the slinger and return tube causing the well to leak into the flywheel. If it does, you can call me and I will tell you how to remedy this problem. I would post it but it may be controversial and I don't want to cause trouble on the board, I can tell you and you can convey the message.
I don't like the fact that groove is there, I'm sure someone must have thought it was a good idea, I've gone this far I might as well see what will happen. I could always have the main cap re-babbitted I suppose. Even though I plan to run this on a stand, I know that will not tell the whole story. I can't imagine a lot of crankcase pressure with the large opening at the filler tube but under heavy load maybe, especially until the rings seat. My old engine leaks too, if it's not horrendous, still might get me by while I have the original gone through.
Art Newland is offline   Reply With Quote