View Single Post
Old 01-25-2021, 04:15 PM   #34
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Default Re: Runs better now...but why

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilohertz View Post
Now this crank pulley looks like it has been changed, it is new, with a little bit of surface rust on it....is it possible it's marked wrong, or is the wrong pulley? Anyone else find this? I am not sure if I can accurately determine TDC without pulling a head off, and even then, there is a fair amount of crank* movement while the piston is at TDC.

Cheers
Fairly easy to check/establish TDC with the heads on. There have been several threads on the process and I think Mart did a video. Basically you insert something through the spark plug hole that the piston can bump up against (something soft enough to not damage anything). The head of a zip-tie works. Then establish a pointer near the crank pully, turn the engine over until it stops against the object in the cylinder. Mark the position on the pully. Turn the engine in the opposite direction until it again hits the stop, mark the pully. TDC is halfway in between the two marks. Several repeats is good to verify your marks. Attempting to establish TDC at actual TDC is difficult because there can be a lot of crank movement with little noticeable piston movement.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote