View Single Post
Old 10-02-2019, 09:46 AM   #31
30 Closed Cab PU

Default Re: Every 500 Miles!??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forddan View Post
This demonstrates my very low level of knowledge in the matter. Nevertheless, if the car have been using ND 30W for 14 years and 10400 miles I will leave it in that way.

Thanks

I hope you did not take my previous post as a recommendation one way or another, was trying to stay neutral. Oil is a subject that gets a lot of strong discussion, and ends up without general agreement. The post was an attempt to point out that those running pressurized oil systems and oil/air filters can greatly extend oil change intervals, and extend the life of the motor.

My opinion/belief is that back in the day, dropping the oil pan, removing the valve access cover, and checking/cleaning those areas and the oil pump screen were normal maintenance activities due to use of non-detergent oil. How often checked, do not know.

When resuscitating my A after it had sat for 50 years, there was so much sludge (inches in the oil pan) in the motor the sludge actually blocked the oil filter screen.

Oil today, detergent or non-detergent, is vastly superior to what was used in the 30s/40s. You should be OK with whatever you use as long as you change it, inspect - the oil for condition, drop the oil pan once every so often to inspect the bottom end, the oil pump screen, and the bottom of the oil pan.

I use a magnetic oil plug to inspect the oil for debris, and let the drain oil sit for a couple of days in a drain pan and pour it out very slowly to see if anything has settled onto the bottom of the oil pan.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote