Thread: Condenser
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2020, 02:29 PM   #21
tubman

Default Re: Condenser

The '33-'36 condensers are still in field test.

As to the Mallory's (and mine) not fitting into the distributor, you have to realize that these were developed principally for use in after market or conversion dual point units. In a conventional "post-type" dual point distributor, the second set of points sits right where the condenser usually is. Thus, they had to mount the condensers externally.

My condensers are .22 micro-farads where the original Mallory units were .36 micro-farads. A condenser and coil are a tuned pair, and the capacitance of the coil should match the inductance of the coil. With all of the varieties of coils out there, it is very difficult to get an exact match between the coil and condenser. Fortunately, "close" counts in condensers, as well as horseshoes and hand grenades, and most modern coils are best used with a condenser with a capacitance in the low .20's micro-farads. In reality it really doesn't matter very much because the tuned circuit is quite forgiving. I have a period Ford publication that states that too low a capacitance can accelerate point wear while too high can affect performance adversely.

Lately, I have been selling some of my "trash cans" for use on "crab" and "rabbit-ear" distributors. Since most of these cars are running modern coils, the "trash can" is a good match. While they are not "concourse correct", they work well and add a bit of "hot rod panache" to the units. Here are a couple of examples supplied by some of my customers. And of course, from "corvette8n"'s photo, you can see how they mount to a "helmet".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RabbitEars1.JPG (60.9 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg RabbitEars2.JPG (71.7 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg RabbitEars3.JPG (68.0 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg CrabMounting.jpg (43.4 KB, 41 views)
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote