Thread: Overcharging?
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2017, 07:59 PM   #22
Don S.

Default Re: Overcharging?

Ok, just sort of an update. The voltage is being measured directly at the battery terminals. I let the battery trickle charge for the last day or so. Checked the battery voltage just as it sat, before starting, and showed 6.6v. This was done with both an analog meter and a digital fluke meter. Both meters showed the same voltage. I then started the car and set the rpms at a fast idle (prob around 1200 rpm). The charging system looked to be working good for the 1st minute. The battery voltage then started to spike. It increased rapidly up to 8+ volts. I removed the cutout and removed the cover to watch what was happening. The points closed when the car was started and never opened until I shut the car off. The cutout I have does not look like anything (internally) like I have seen in anything I've read. It looks cheap and I think I've just got a Chinese cutout. If I adjust the 3rd brush I can peg my amp gauge needle in either direction, charge or discharge. Thanks for all the replies and the help!
Don S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)