View Single Post
Old 04-06-2022, 05:43 PM   #5
Flathead Fever

Default Re: Solenoid question

I hate to guess at this stuff. When you say hard starting "when it's hot" I don't know if that is a fuel or a starter problem. If you're cranking it for a long time because of a fuel problem that starter circuit is going to get hot. Is it cranking "slower" when it's hot because that could be a starter circuit problem? It would be nice to clamp on one of those inductance ammeters around the starter cable and see what kind of current you have? What is the battery voltage dropping down to while cranking? How about a voltage drop test! On the DC scale stick the voltmeter leads on both side of that solenoid, while its cranking, and see if you get a voltage drop or not. Without test equipment were just guessing at this stuff.

Never crank a starter for more than 15-seconds. They can get so hot they can melt the solder right out of the armature. Crank it for 15-sceconds and then let it cool for 15-seconds.

As far as a new solenoid, I've always used Standard Products, that's if Motorcraft was not available. Is this an original car with a 6V system or a 12V? Do you want a solenoid with the push button on the bottom? Those are really handy when working on the engine. Stay away from "any" Eletronic components sold by AutoZone or O'Reileys. I have not had any luck with their electrical parts. Almost any professional mechanic will tell you the same thing. One of their new coil packs (one -week-old) on my daughter's 2002 Mustang left her stranded in the middle of nowhere. The second one I bought from the dealer. I order my quality parts from Rock Auto. I used to get them from Napa but they went out of business here.

Last edited by Flathead Fever; 04-06-2022 at 05:54 PM.
Flathead Fever is offline   Reply With Quote