View Single Post
Old 02-06-2024, 04:40 PM   #3
Superhart

Default Re: 1930 coupe need new left front fender

Brent, you always seem to give me such good news.LOL I appreciate your information and and honesty, but it certainly does leave me confused. All I know is that I want to do a quality job on my left front fender. Originally I was told that the crack repair Could be done without even removing the fender from the car. Of course this appeal to me because the guy suggested welding/brazing, etc. to me to do quality repair. Then, when I examined things underneath the car ., I noticed a huge depression in the top of the fender which was obviously filled with Bondo. My friend and I figured out that there must have been at least a quarter of an inch of Bondo thickness in that repair. I don’t like Bondo. I also realized that it would be exceptionally expensive to take the fender off the car, remove the Bondo, and do a good metal work job to repair the defect. I. READ THAT “OUCH EXPENSIVE“. Then I hear all the stories about the poor quality of workmanship with the new fenders and my inability to do good metal work. I find all this very confusing. I am pretty good at replacing parts, etc. I have a complete set of hand tools, and an air compressor. my youngest son is a professional auto painter and I still have quite a bit of original red color left from when the car was originally painted. This whole thing is confusing and I really don’t know which way to turn. All I know is that this car is important to me , it is 100% steel. I want to keep it that way, and don’t want to take a chance of buying a original fender site unseen that has issues of its own. I can’t decide which road is the better one to take to correct my present problem. Any further comments?

Last edited by Superhart; 02-06-2024 at 10:30 PM.
Superhart is offline   Reply With Quote