View Single Post
Old 07-07-2022, 05:39 PM   #55
ford38v8

Default Re: Engine temp rises when I get to cruise speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrvariel48 View Post
B&S my shroud and fan are one unit so I won't be able to remove the shroud only. I don't have much of a problem at idle or slow speeds just at cruise. I reinstalled the lower grille pan today. I'm not expecting much from that, but I'd like to try it out so I can log the data as I go. The next step is to add the temp gauge in the water pump as Ronnieroadster recommended and see what I have there. Then I'll try bumping up the main jets from #69 to 70 and see what does.
As always, thanks for your input
Joe

The lower grille pan is an important part to direct air flow. Air comes in the grille, and if the lower pan is missing, air will take the path of least resistance, exiting below the radiator. Your radiator itself offers a large resistance to air flow, and with the shroud, even more. At higher speeds, the different air flow ratio is multiplied. Without further changes, take a test run with the lower pan installed.

On another subject, copper is most definitely more heat conductive than aluminum. (If money were no object, silver would cool more efficiently than would copper). The size, number, and configuration of tubes and fins being the same (which they are not), Brass tanks with copper tubes/brass fins are superior to aluminum in everything but the initial cost of materials/labor, and there's your reason aluminum is used in modern applications.