View Single Post
Old 04-15-2021, 10:53 PM   #32
Tail Dragger

Default Re: The new Burtz Mosel A engine

Got the crank and pistons in tonight, what an ordeal, The Clevite CB-745P STD bearings DO NOT sit flush with the surface of the saddle or caps. There's an interference fit when trying to set the bearing caps on the crank. I absolutely could not rotate the crank by hand the first time I installed only bearing caps 1 and 5 just hand tight. I realized right away there was an issue and got on the phone. I was able to get some official numbers to check and ask some questions. After getting off the phone, I checked the journal DIA and bore, both were within spec, must be the bearings.

With oversized bearings being suspect (circumference not thickness), I used my table saw as a flat surface and 400 grit sandpaper to "file" the ends down of each bearing, reducing their half circumferences. I also used a file to take off corners that may be interfering with the studs (yes I was using the correct studs) on bearing caps 1 and 3. 6 hours later, the crank could be rotated by hand with all caps torqued down to 55 ft-lbs. It's not silky but it'll do considering the crank can be rotated with a moderate force using a few fingers.

It's important to note that 2 of the caps didn't have a large enough reliefs cut for the notches in the bearings, requiring the bearing notch to be filed down slightly. This wasn't a big ordeal and was easy to spot/correct.

On to pistons/con rods. They went in beautifully. Going from hand tight to torque, I did notice additional resistance but it wasn't bad.

Full disclosure.....I am not an engine guy by any means. This is 1 of 3 engines I've ever built/rebuilt. I'm used to things just going together so this was indeed a bit frustrating but given the specialty of the motor, I'm not upset about running into issues. I will say, the manual could be a bit better with more concise step by step instructions and images. I'm absolutely looking forward to getting this thing running and can't wait to finish the car.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3688.jpg (28.8 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3690.jpg (23.8 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3697.jpg (23.3 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3698.jpg (43.8 KB, 117 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3700.jpg (82.6 KB, 108 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3693.jpg (31.4 KB, 113 views)
Tail Dragger is offline   Reply With Quote