View Single Post
Old 04-15-2021, 04:43 PM   #31
Synchro909

Default Re: The new Burtz Mosel A engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tail Dragger View Post
Completed about 6 cycles of running a coat hanger in the passages, hosing for 2-3 minutes, compressed air, heat gun to dry, and compressed air again. There’s still a little more sand coming loose each time but I think I got the majority of it. A reputable individual with first hand experience with this motor said to run it, shouldn’t hurt anything. I ran a rifle cleaning brush through the oil passages with some solvent and got nothing, so that’s good. Got the main seal today and will be installing the pistons and crank. The thrust bearings absolutely needed sanding to fit the crank and achieve proper end play. The flathead screws that secure the thrust bearings are slightly proud of the thrust bearing surface and need filing down. Pictures coming soon. Not trying to hijack the thread, just thought I’d share my experience.
I understand Terry is aware of the issue with the screws standing proud in the thrust rings and is including the correct ones with each motor. Some grit in the water jacket shouldn't be the end of the world but junk in the oil ways is another matter.