Thread: Engine upgrade
View Single Post
Old 11-22-2020, 03:19 PM   #16
Jack Shaft
BANNED

Default Re: Engine upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkaminar View Post
I had the 2 barrel downdraft Webber and an exhaust header like Jack Shaft's car when I bought it. My Fordor had no problem getting to 70 mph on the highway but it just did not look right. I switched out to the stock manifolds and the updraft Tillotson. I am happy going 55 on back roads. The car will still go 60 when asked. I have owned Model A's since they were just old cars. Part of owning one now is nostalgia so I want the engine to look like a Model A. But I am happy with internal changes that make the engine more reliable and more powerful.

It also had a distributor with electronic ignition and automatic advance. Also did not look right. I went back to the stock distributor and the engine actually runs better.
Its all good,change and run what you like,its your car. From a performance view mechanical advance distributors are superior to manual advance stock distributors,your timing adjusts automatically to your RPM,resulting in optimum performance.The Tillotson flows at half the rate of the engines capacity,the weber you had matches CFM air flow to the engine.
I agree with Brett,the camshaft is the foundation to build to..You have to do alot of work to achieve returns on the big valves,its more a selling point than improvement.

Oh,thats a Stromberg 97 in my picture..I prefer the Holley 94..The weber 32/36 the vendors sell in a good lash up..all three benefit from a fuel pump
Jack Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote