View Single Post
Old 02-27-2018, 10:24 AM   #5
dmsfrr

Default Re: '57 F-100 Gas Gauge

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike42 View Post
I had to replace the Sender in tank as it was bad. Bought from LMC.

As far as the gauge goes....this is NOT a stock unit. It was changed before I bought it. I've pulled out the cluster unit to see if I could reverse the wire, but the plug-in unit is designed in such a manner that you can't reverse it. It only plugs in one way.
Mike
"the plug-in unit"
Is it just the fuel gauge, or the whole dash gauge cluster that was changed out?

If just the fuel gauge was changed....
The fuel gauge and tank sensor likely came from separate mfr's. You'd hope or assume they would work together but that can be a mistake. A gauge and sensor should be a matched pair to have a decent chance at working accurately.
Since you're dealing with a previously installed aftermarket gauge the odds aren't in your favor.
I'd call LMC and tell them which tank sensor you bought from them, and you need a gauge to match it.

OR.....
If the whole dash gauge cluster was changed out to an aftermarket assembly...
Look on it for a mfr or supplier name and contact them.
It's still possible that whoever did the conversion got wires for the fuel gauge reversed somewhere.
But depending on how the gauge assembly was made it may or may not make a difference, or swapping the wires might fry it.

Once the wiring is changed from stock, or a vehicle is given the semi-custom/custom treatment it isn't really possible for someone else (sight unseen) to tell how the work was done or effectively troubleshoot it.
If the mfr of the gauge cluster you have is no longer around you might learn to live with the fuel gauge quirk, or update/change everything to new parts (all from the same source/mfr).

Last edited by dmsfrr; 03-07-2018 at 04:57 PM. Reason: a light bulb just went on
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote