Thread: Thomas head
View Single Post
Old 03-29-2015, 11:33 AM   #8
Tod

Default Re: Thomas head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall V. Daut View Post
Hi, Tod -
We ordered one of your Thomas heads from Snyder's last year in the springtime and had it polished out. It has not been installed yet. As I recommended this head to the owner, I am now concerned that it may have been in the "bad batch" you mentioned. What were the problems with these heads? Correctable? Do they need to be resurfaced before installing?
A now-concerned Marshall
No, that would not be from the bad batch. The bad batch had issues where the spark plug holes did not mold up properly and had to be machined out and re-shot-blasted. There is also a pattern issue with draft on the end where the molds break and the foundry needs to cut out the bad area. I do not even machine the castings I pull out that are not to my liking. The one on Ebay is an example of one that looked good until machining opened up gas holes. If I deliver them to Snyder after machining them we go over all casting defects. My main gripe is the foundry not properly grinding their gating or leaving globs of metal where it shouldn't be. The pattern is to blame for many of the casting issues.

You go ahead and use that one. It should be fine. This new foundry didn't work out.

Added: Buyers will not see the most annoying issue which is the method used by the foundry to keep the spark plug holes from breaking out in molding. That only caused me grief and led to many hours of cursing the foundry and the guy who made the tooling.

Tod

Last edited by Tod; 03-29-2015 at 11:47 AM. Reason: Additional note
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote