View Single Post
Old 01-23-2022, 11:04 PM   #29
RickInVA

Default Re: Modifying oil pump.

I was taught a few things years ago I would like to throw out here and see what you think. The study of fluid flow in physics, or hydro dynamics, has some basic rules when a positive placement pump is used. The volume of the fluid flow is determined by rpm and is fixed. You can change the speed of the flow, and the fluid pressure, by the size of the openings it flows through. A small opening and the fluid flows faster to maintain the fixed volume. A wider opening will cause the fluid to flow slower. Think of a river, the volume is the river is the same even though it goes faster where the river is narrow and slower where it is wider, but the gallons per minute remains the same. The gear pump delivers a constant volume because it is a positive displacement pump and fluids are not compressable. By changing the openings in the pump you are changing the speed of flow and the pressure but not the total volume. If you want more volume you need to speed up the pump or get a pump with biggger gears. My two cents.
RickInVA is offline   Reply With Quote