View Single Post
Old 11-02-2020, 05:34 PM   #70
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: What is a "reasonable" speed in a Model A for one to get "reasonable" engine life

Quote:
Originally Posted by shew01 View Post
Brent,

I’m curious. Your shop puts a lot of effort into an engine rebuild. How long (in terms of miles) does one your rebuilds typically last, regardless of whether is driven at 45 or 60?

Also, how does that compare to how long an original engine would last when new? (I presume lower quality oil and dustier roads would cause the original engines to need rebuilds sooner than today’s rebuilds.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr. S, I honestly do not know how long they go as many of them likely still have less than 30k-40k miles. I would however, expect them to get to the 50k mark at a minimum. I offer a lifetime warranty on our engines as long as the bearings are kept within factory specs, and the oil is properly changed. If something comes apart (such as the bearings) I will replace it under warranty. If the engine simply wears out or is improperly maintenanced, then the repair is on them.

With that said about the 50+k expectancy, I know of a couple A/B engine rebuilders that have inserts in their Model-A engines that have that kind of mileage too. I know Dave G. from here is one that has been all over the country with his engines and at higher speeds. Any issue he has had has been in areas above the pistons and not below.

Again, the Model-A hobby went thru some sloppy craftsmen back in the 50s thru the 00s where methods and materials used gave casting bearings a bad reputation. Now that better equipment is being used by some, -and materials & procedures being used are much superior, then longevity, reliability, and performance has increased substantially. Unfortunately, old notions & opinions from yesteryear are sometimes hard to put aside by some.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote