View Single Post
Old 11-02-2020, 03:30 PM   #65
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: What is a "reasonable" speed in a Model A for one to get "reasonable" engine life

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHN View Post
Brent, your just looking for someone to argue with.

Have fun.
I am having fun. I repeatedly asked a simple question that no one can seem to give an answer to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Burtz, Calif View Post
The Model A engine has several engineering design flaws including small diameter poured bearings and not enough main bearings. A contemporary engine like the 1927/1928 Dodge "Fast 4" has larger bearings that use replaceable inserts and a 5 main crankshaft. No amount of craftsmanship can make up for an inadequate design.
Terry, define "inadequate design" please? Inadequate by today's standards -or inadequate in the Model-A manufactured time era??

While I agree there were design advancements/improvements that came subsequent to the Model-A (i.e: Model-B engine with larger crankshaft journals, counterweights, higher compression, better carburetion, pressurized oiling system), but exactly what consistently failed on a Model-A engine that caused it to be deemed as an "inadequate design"?

Maybe another way to ask this is; -you mention poured bearings and not enough main bearings as being 'engineering design flaws' however did these two items create longevity issues during the era of the vehicle?

I guess my way of looking at this entire thread is what is a 'reasonable expectation' of a Model-A engine back then. It has been stated over & over that Ford proved their engines could be driven 60 mph for periods without their engines failing. While the engines may have not been developed to their maximum potential, it sure seems to me they were engineered well enough for the class of car they were intended to be sold in, and they lasted well enough during their era to be around today in large numbers.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote