View Single Post
Old 10-07-2021, 10:05 PM   #7
V8COOPMAN

Default Re: 1938 Tudor Windshield

Ya know, I've looked closely at your windshield frame on your '38. My goodness, that rubber seal around the frame looks like it sets very deep in the windshield opening as compared with many other '37-'39 Ford windshields. It is almost like someone went to great pains to either hammer or methodically push that rubber gasket very deep within the opening in the body. I can see why it is refusing to move. And as deep-seated as your frame is in the body opening, I might be reluctant to try to push it back out. It is very easy to crack one (or both) of those panes of glass if you manage to twist or distort that frame while massaging it outward. And secondly, that little mechanism that pushes and retracts the frame inward and outward is extremely fragile. It doesn't take much at all to strip or snap-off the little pot-metal tangs that the winding worm pushes and pulls on. I just sold my '37 coupe that we've owned for nearly 20 years, and even when the windshield opens easily, it is still an operation that you need to treat with kid gloves.....in other words, your hands need to help that window move, not using the winder to put the force on it. Great idea back then, with a wholly inadequate mechanism to operate the beast. Below is a picture of one not sitting so far into the opening as yours. Nice looking sedan that YOU have there!! DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote