View Single Post
Old 02-07-2012, 11:29 PM   #6
SAJ

Default Re: roadster front spring problem

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Thanks MN Stumpjumper. The axle seems just like other Model A ones I have seen. Are there different versions of this axle? I thought they were all the same throughout Model A production. If not so that adds an interesting variable.
Tim B. The shackles and pins are new replacements sent with the new spring from Snyders. The Bushings are new too and a tight fit in their housings. Shackes are the same measurements as old ones I have. The old bushings were black rubber that I removed, leaving the perch eyes unworn. Perches are tight in the axle, holes not oval.
I am not sure what your "perch axle to centre of perch spring bushing hole height" means, and my car is not with me now, but I will look at this tomorrow, but I probably need another set up to compare it with.
I will contact Tom Jordan at Snyders and see what he suggests if there are no other obvious things that I may have done or could do, other than re-arching the new spring cold. Does this work as a permanent cure? I see it in Les Andrews' book, but my instinct tells me that re-annealing, resetting and re-hardening/tempering is the real answer. And then only if we have good quality spring steel to start with.
Hopefully someone else may chime in with more experience on my problem.
SAJ in NZ
SAJ is offline   Reply With Quote