Thread: caster tools
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2017, 03:29 AM   #33
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida
Default Re: caster tools

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1crosscut View Post
I realize from you latest post the the front end has been completely rebuilt. That said I suspect that it is possible that something may still be loose. Perhaps a tie rod end was not tightened quite enough or one of the backing plates is slightly loose. Just to be sure have one of your fellow mechanics sit in the car and move the steering wheel back and forth just enough to bump the wheels into almost turning. Have them do this repeatedly while you are inspecting all parts of the steering system looking for any looseness. Do this while the wheels are on the ground.
Getting all looseness out and proper toe in usually goes a long way in getting rid of front end shimmy and wobble.
I don't know what more we can do? The thread has given him websites with descriptions and pictures of camber, caster, and toe in. We have given him documentation "of the day" how these are not "adjustable" as we refer to it today using a wrench and a screw driver. A link to how someone has actually adjusted the axle using presses. Mentioned already is the movement of the radius ball and how it changes caster. Given are the specifications for the front end. No information given here has been contradictory.

I'm out.