Thread: caster tools
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2017, 07:02 AM   #29
reggiedog

Exclamation Re: caster tools

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
The only "tool" of the day I can think of would have been an inclinometer to measure tilt of the axle (5 degrees).

From the Dykes manual,

Camber of front wheels should be approximately 1 11/16”. The camber is not adjustable, as it is provided for in the forging of the spindle. The only possibility of the camber being changed would be due to a bent axle or spindle or badly worn spindle body bushing.

Caster effect is given to the steering knucklet at the factory which is 5 degrees.

If front Axle is bent it should be straightened cold.
Mike,
I have never heard of one of those or even the ( DYKES MANUAL ) So where and how do you get something like that if that's what I need to have so is this just a book or what is this it sounds like it's NOT a tool at all.

So what kind of tool would I need to use to fix the front axle if my axle turns out to be bent.

Would this Dykes Manual tell me what tool or tools to use to straighten the axle.

Or do I have to take it somewhere to have the axle straightened for me like straight line where they have the tools to straighten axles and frames
or would Bert's be able to send me a straight new axle from out there or would they be able to fix the axle that I already have.

Or isn't my axle that I have worth fixing if it's just bent and off by just a little bit like a centimeter or so just enough to make the whole front end of the car shimmy to where you can't go over 25 or 30 mph without it shimming so bad that you all most lose control of the car.

As at first I thought it was the rims on the tires but I went and changed them all around and it still shimmies that's why I think or thought it was the front axle doing it and still do think that.

And that's where the Buying of the Original Duby Toe In Alignment Tool came into this and that took me years to find a Original one of those and know he says he wants or needs the Original type of Caster Tools but on here I've been getting allot of people that are saying that the Casters are NOT something that you can fix.

So here I get allot of pictures of some really old school Caster Tools and then I get pics of some really nice new Caster tools and looking at them I don't even think that my guy knows even knows what the hell he's talking about when he says he needs the Original Caster Tools.

As from what I've been told and have seen on this post there really isn't anything that would of been Original Caster Tools back in the day when he worked in a Garage a Ford or any of the Garages wouldn't of had anything like what he is describing to me and wanting me to find him.

Now as I found the Original Duby Toe In Alignment Tool that I will keep as I myself would use that tool and that he said that is the tool that I will need and I agree with him on that one.

But the Caster thing I'm even starting to wander on that one myself as to what he is even talking about on that one and now Mike sends me a thing that I think is the Dykes Manual.

Where and how I would ever get that book or Manual or even to buy that one would be beyond me as I have never heard of that Manual before today.

When Mike Put a post on here saying that is what I would need to have or that is what the Garages would of had back in the days when my guy would of worked in them so now I'm going to look around and see what I can find on the Dykes Manual and as to what that would cost to buy or to rent the book.

Maybe there not that expensive to where I can buy the book or Manual and then my guy would be happy with just that instead of all of me looking around for something that's just not out there to be found and never was out there in the first place as read all of these post as they all say the same thing to me the Casters are NOT adjustable.

I do believe there adjustable like when the car was being made other then that NO not much of a adjustment to it I do know you can buy cupped washer to put on the end of the wishbone and that might adjust the Caster a little bit but other then that one no there is just no adjustment to the caster as I have been told countless times on here.

How my guy thinks he can adjust the casters is beyond me as I'm going to STOP looking for those Original TOOLS as there just isn't any Original Caster Tools out there for the Casters to be found on that end of it anyway that I can find anyway.

And I'm going to start to and hopefully find that Dykes Manual and the inclinometer that Mike is talking about on here so if anyone knows or has one of those tools or the Manual(S) that you want to sell Please let me know and the price and a picture of both of them and a description of what shape it is in and as to what you would want for both of them as I might be wanting to buy that stuff instead of these Original Caster Tools.

Thanks let me know
Reggiedog
reggiedog is offline   Reply With Quote