View Single Post
Old 06-20-2010, 01:33 PM   #8
Jim Arnold

Default Re: ? using stock amp gauge with 12v?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave72dt View Post
Running a higher amp system than original may peg the needle on your gauge.
I just changed my 12volt converted generator to one of the new 'Genernators' (looks like a ford generator but is a one wire alternator in an enlarged aluminum case). I talked with the tech person at the manufacturer to get the proper hook up so my stock original ammeter would read correctly and ask about the amp limitations of the stock ammeter (mine has a loop pickup). He said it might peg at start up but if starting with a charged battery the internal regulator will immediately bring the needle to a proper charge level. It works just as advertised, puts out 65amps at just over idle (800 to 900 engine rpm) and more than 100amps if needed at speed. My 12volt converted gen could only manage 35 amps above 1800 engine rpms. With electric cooling fan, halogen lights, fogs, heater/defrost blower, electric wipers on, the gennie was about 20 amps behind and yesterday in a rainstorm I was using all those access. named. Arrived home with a fully charged Optima battery. I feel much better about driving from Pgh to Charlotte next week.
Jim Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote